From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Scope
- 3 Definitions
- 4 Policy and Procedure Statements
- 4.1 Office Organization
- 4.2 Budget Office
- 4.3 Description of Functional Areas
- 4.3.1 State Funds Accounting
- 4.3.2 Special Funding Accounts
- 4.3.3 Special Grants Accounts
- 4.3.4 Consolidated Funds
- 4.3.5 Department of Education Funded Grants
- 4.3.6 Health and Human Services Funded Grants
- 4.3.7 Appalachian State University Endowment Fund
- 4.3.8 Advanced Tuition Deposit
- 4.3.9 Capital Improvements
- 4.3.10 Student Accounts
- 4.3.11 Cashier's Office
- 4.3.12 Loans and Scholarships Section
- 4.4 Description of Budget Function
- 5 Additional References
- 6 Authority
- 7 Contact Information
- 8 Original Effective Date
- 9 Revision Dates
1.1 The Controller's Office is a division of Business Affairs primarily responsible for the recording, accounting, controlling and reporting of all University financial transactions subject to regulations and procedures established by the North Carolina Department of Administration and the North Carolina State Auditor's Office. All funds for the operation of the University's academic programs and support facilities, student aid programs, student support facilities, grant programs and any other funds directly related to the total mission of the University are administered through this office
4 Policy and Procedure Statements
4.1 Office Organization
The Office is organized into three major areas of responsibilities designated: State Funds Accounting, Special Funds Accounting, and Student Accounts. The three major areas are further divided into specific functional sections as outlined below:
4.1.1 State Funds Accounting
- Accounts Payable
- General Ledger Accounting and Budget Reporting
- Current Operation Fund (Academic)
- Student Auxiliaries (Auxiliary)
- Institutional Auxiliaries (Trust Funds)
- Debt Retirement Funds
4.1.2 Special Funds Accounting
- Contracts and Grants Accounting
- Capital Improvement Funds
- Special Funds
4.1.3 Student Accounts
- Cashier's Office
- Student Accounts Receivable
- Loans and Scholarships
Location - The Controller's Office is located in the Business Affairs Annex Building on the State Farm Road.
Assistance - If your specific question is not answered in this section of the Policy Manual, contact the Controller's Office at 262-2110.
4.2 Budget Office
22.214.171.124 The Budget Office is a division of Business Affairs reporting directly to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Administration. The primary responsibility of the Budget Office is to allocate and monitor all budgeted funds appropriated by the North Carolina General Assembly as directed by the Board of Governor's of the University of North Carolina System. All allocations are subject to mandates, regulations and procedures established by the North Carolina Office of State Budget, Planning and Management in compliance with the State of North Carolina General Statutes, the Office of the President of the University of North Carolina System and the State Controller's Office. Monitoring Auxiliary and Institutional Trust Funds is a secondary responsibility.
126.96.36.199 The office, consisting of the Budget Director, an accountant and two accounting technicians, is located in the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs, third floor, Suite 305, Dougherty Administration Building.
188.8.131.52 The goal of the Budget Office is to assist all areas of the University in developing a comprehensive spending plan to support the total mission of Appalachian State University. If your specific question is not answered in this section of the Policy Manual, contact the Budget Office at (828) 262-6432.
184.108.40.206 Organizational Chart - Business Affairs
|Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs|
|Administration||Physical Operations||Auxillary Operations||New River Light & Power||Public Safety/University Police|
|Controller's Office||Design and Construction||Bookstore||Accounting and Finance||Traffic Control|
|Administrative Support Services||Plant Engineering||Food Service||Customer Service||Investigations|
|University Budget||Plant Maintenance Suprvision||Engineering and Operations|
|Systems||Water Plant||Construction and Maintenance|
|Administrative Services||Comuter Aided Drawing|
|Motor Pool||Information Specialist|
|Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs|
|Associate Vice Chancellor for Administration|
4.3 Description of Functional Areas
4.3.1 State Funds Accounting
220.127.116.11 The character and purpose of State Funds Accounting can best be explained by the following statements of its particular objectives, functions, and responsibilities:
- Checks and reviews all procurements to insure that correct code numbers are used, that there is adequate budget amounts, and proper authorization.
- Reviews and pays all purchase orders, invoices, travel advances and reimbursements, and memo requests for payment as accurately and expediently as possible.
- Prepares and pays sales tax reports for all University reporting units.
- Prepares voucher registers and posts all accounting data from voucher registers, receipts journal, adjustments journals and registrations.
- Transmits all accounting data to the Computer Center for processing.
- Prepares and distributes monthly budget and accounting reports to the Division of State Budget.
- Prepares and distributes monthly budget and accounting reports to all University departments.
- Prepares and distributes the University payrolls.
- Prepares and submits all required payroll reports to the Internal Revenue Service, North Carolina Department of Revenue, North Carolina Public Employees Social Security System, and other agencies for which reports are generated from the Payroll System.
- Provides assistance and guidance in accounting matters for all University areas.
18.104.22.168 Distributes travel reimbursement and advance travel checks.
4.3.2 Special Funding Accounts
22.214.171.124 The Special Funds Accounting section of the Controller's Office is designed to receive and account for "special" funds coming to the University which are not in direct support of the academic and auxiliary areas. The following is a list of these accounts and their functions. Most of these funds are on deposit with the State Treasurer's Office as University Trust Funds.
4.3.3 Special Grants Accounts
126.96.36.199 These accounts are used to receive, disburse and account for all State, local, and private grants, contracts, and special programs operated by the University for the academic areas. It also includes those service awards for the University and regional community.
4.3.4 Consolidated Funds
188.8.131.52 These accounts are necessary to account for the miscellaneous activities throughout the University which generate revenue. Some accounts in this category serve as clearing accounts for funds channeled through the University temporarily. A complete accounting system is maintained on each account.
4.3.5 Department of Education Funded Grants
184.108.40.206 This account acts as a clearing account to receive, transfer, and account for all funds coming to the University from the Department of Education. The account receives its funds from the ACH/EFT payment method through the Department of Education Payment Management System.
4.3.6 Health and Human Services Funded Grants
220.127.116.11 This account acts as a clearing account to receive, transfer, and account for all funds coming to the University from the Department of Health and Human Services. The account receives its funds through the Department of Health and Human Services centralized Payment Management System.
4.3.7 Appalachian State University Endowment Fund
18.104.22.168 This account is necessary to account for the funds transferred from the University Bookstore, New River Light and Power Company and Appalachian State University Foundation, Inc., to be used for student scholarships.
4.3.8 Advanced Tuition Deposit
22.214.171.124 This is a holding account necessary to receive the required deposits for both housing and subsistence from students who plan on entering the University at some future date.
4.3.9 Capital Improvements
126.96.36.199 This account is necessary to account for the funds from State appropriations and other sources for projects designated as a capital improvement or an expansion of the physical plant.
188.8.131.52 Special Funds Accounting is charged with the responsibility for reporting the activity of these funds to the appropriate sources and to help assure that these funds are used in the best interest of the University and within the original intent.
4.3.10 Student Accounts
184.108.40.206 The Student Accounts Section consists of the Cashier's Office and the Loans and Scholarships section.
4.3.11 Cashier's Office
- The Cashier's Office is responsible for the receipting and depositing of all University related funds. The objective is to insure that monies due to or belonging to the State are received and accounted for in a manner which assures a complete and adequate record of each transaction and assures monetary control over the receiving function.
- The operation of the Cashier's Office is designed to aid the University in handling receipts as required by statute and to supply necessary information to the State Treasurer and the State Disbursing Officer.
- Student and faculty/staff accounts receivable for all charges other than Loans and Scholarships are maintained in this office.
4.3.12 Loans and Scholarships Section
- This section houses and maintains all fiscal records for the NDEA/NDSL Perkins Fund, Appalachian State University Student Loan Fund, Appalachian State University Scholarship Fund, Appalachian State University Funds on Deposit, College Work Study, PELL, and S.E.O.G. programs.
- In addition to the normal bookkeeping activities, Loans and Scholarships is responsible for direct contact with students, former aid recipients, collection agency representatives, Department of State Auditors, Department of Justice and program officers for the Department of Health, Education and Welfare.
- This section is responsible for all activities involved in issuing checks and ultimately collecting repayments.
4.4 Description of Budget Function
4.4.1 The character and purpose of Budget Administration can be explained by the following statements of its objectives and functions:
- Coordinate and prepare the biennial Continuation Budget and Expansion Budget.
- Prepare quarterly allotments for the expenditure/receipt of State Funds and submit to the Office of State Budget and Management.
- Prepare Quarterly Cash Requirement Worksheets and submit to the State Controller's Office.
- Work with all divisions of the University to distribute and maintain their budgets.
- Monitor departmental budgets to prevent over spending.
- Notify departments of any over expended/over encumbered budget pools/objects within their departmental account.
- Process all internal budget adjustments and flexibility budget revisions and maintain the Online Budget Transfer System.
- Prepare budget revisions for approval by the Office of State Budget and Management.
- Maintain the University (Payroll) Position Management System to monitor lapsed salaries and Salary reserves.
- Prepare special reports at the request of the General Administration of the University of North Carolina System, the North Carolina General #Assembly-Fiscal Research Office, Office of State Budget and Management and other offices within the University.
- Administer State Information Processing Services (SIPS) Resource Access Control (RACF) Security.
- Establish new departmental accounts as required.
- Maintain the database of organizational structure for various reporting.