From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
1.1 The Board of Governors has delegated to the Board of Trustees authority to confer honorary degrees. This policy establishes eligibility requirements and the process for review and approval of nominations.
2.1 This policy applies to all honorary degrees.
4 Policy and Procedure Statements
4.1 All nominees for an honorary degree must meet one or more of the following criteria to be considered:
- Must have made a notable contribution to society and the welfare of mankind.
- Must have achieved distinguished success in a chosen career field or profession.
- Should have made significant contribution to Appalachian State University through service, leadership and/or financial support.
4.2 Active members of the university staff or faculty who are under retirement age are deemed ineligible to receive an honorary degree. In no case will a degree be conferred upon an individual to enhance his or her chances for promotion, job tenure or salary consideration.
4.3 The procedure for the accepting, screening and approving of nominees and the awarding of honorary degrees is as follows:
- Nominees must meet established criteria.
- Individuals may be nominated by faculty, staff, students, alumni or friends of the university.
- Nominations may be received by the Chancellor of the university or any member of the Administrative Cabinet.
- All nominations will be acknowledged and filed by the Vice Chancellor for University Advancement.
- The Vice Chancellor for University Advancement will assume responsibility to check the credentials and eligibility of nominees.
- The Vice Chancellor for University Advancement will report names of nominees to the Administrative Cabinet. The Chancellor will recommend nominees to the Advancement Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Candidates approved by the Advancement Committee of the Board of Trustees will be recommended to the university Board of Trustees at any regularly scheduled meeting.
- Following Board approval, it will be the responsibility of the Vice Chancellor for University Advancement to assist the Chancellor in informing the honoree, announcing the conferral, and planning the awarding ceremony.
5 Additional References
7 Contact Information
Dayton Cole, Office of General Counsel, 828.262.2751
8 Effective Date
June 1, 1990
9 Revision Dates
January 13, 1997