Manual Check Policy
From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
4 Policy and Procedure Statements
4.1 Request for Manual Checks
4.1.1 Manual Checks are a very time consuming and costly process. Therefore, the University is encouraged to request Manual Checks in Emergency Financial Need Situations Only.
4.1.2 Manual Checks will be available for pickup each Friday based upon the criteria listed below:
- Employee authorized pay document (time sheet, pay authorization, one time pay forms, etc) and the manual check request will be due to Payroll by 5:00 p.m. each Friday for the following week's manual check batch. ANY REQUESTS NOT RECEIVED BY 5 P.M. ON FRIDAY WILL BE ISSUED TWO WEEKS LATER.
- Manual Checks will not be prepared after the 20th of each month. This is due to meeting regular month end payroll deadlines to ensure that our employees are paid on a timely basis.
- Manual Check processing priority will be given FIRST to those employees who have not received a regular paycheck.
- Manual Checks for ADDITIONAL PAY to an employee will be issued ONLY if the amount of the check request is greater than 10% of the employee's regular net pay. Any request received for 10% and below will be returned to the requesting department so they can take the appropriate measures to process in the regular payroll cycle.
- Manual Check Request Forms must be requested by the employee due to an extreme financial need, signed by the department head; reviewed by the designated Vice Chancellor representative with final approval given by the Vice Chancellor for the area.
- A manual check report will be mailed to the Chancellor and Vice Chancellor areas each month. This report will indicate all Employee Names and Department Names who have used the manual check process for the previous month. Each Administrator is encouraged to review the monthly report and contact their department heads, as they deem appropriate, to try and avoid the issuance of manual payroll checks except in EXTREME situations.