SHRA Employee Requesting Position Actions
From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
This policy applies to all personnel involved in the process of requesting position actions.
- Changes in the workload required of an office or department may make it necessary to establish additional positions. Changes in an employee's duties, responsibilities, or supervision may mean that the employee's position classification should be changed.
3.2 Allocation and Reallocation
- New and additional permanent, full-time or part-time positions are established by defining the assigned duties and assigning those duties to an official classification in the pay plan. This is referred to as the allocation of a position to a classification. Reallocation is the assignment of a position from one class to another as the result of a change in assigned duties and responsibilities.
4 Policy and Procedure Statements
The establishment of a new and additional position is normally initiated by the supervisor of a department or office. However, either the supervisor or the affected employee may initiate action to have a position reallocated.
4.1 Requesting Position Reallocation
4.1.1 Procedure Steps:
- The supervisor must obtain from Human Resource Services a form entitled Request for SPA Job Study. The form must be completed and returned with the appropriate signatures.
- Human Resource Services will issue the appropriate job description form to be completed by the employee.
- The form should be submitted to Human Resource Services where an analyst studies the description and in some cases conducts a desk audit. Once a decision has been made by Human Resource Services, the necessary forms are submitted to the Office of State Personnel for final approval.
- The immediate supervisor will be notified in writing of the action taken on any position which has been evaluated. A copy will also be sent to the employee.
4.2 Completing The Position Description
4.2.1 Procedure Steps - The supervisor should complete the position description, and any interviews needed will be conducted by the analyst.
4.2.2 State Personnel Form PD-102R, INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING POSITION DESCRIPTION, gives detailed information on the completion of the POSITION DESCRIPTION. These instructions should be followed closely to insure accurate completion of the POSITION DESCRIPTION form. Copies of the instructions may be obtained from Human Resource Services.
5 Additional References
Further Information - See Also:
Human Resource Services, Policy Statement 3, Position Management
Resource Services, Instructions for Requesting an SPA Job Study
Human Resource Services, Position Description PD-102R