State Purchase Contracts
From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
4 Policy and Procedure Statements
4.1 Many Contracts
4.1.1 The State Purchase and Contract Division enters into contracts with outside vendors to acquire favorable rates for many commonly used items. The State has contracts with several hundred suppliers, covering several thousand individual items.
4.2 Purchase Items on Contract
4.2.1 All State agencies, including the University, are required to purchase needed items included in State contracts from the contracting vendors. It is not permissible to purchase items similar to those on contract and designed to perform the same function without special approval from the State Purchase and Contract Division.
4.2.2 Some broad classifications of the items on contract are:
- Audiovisual equipment
- Automobiles and trucks
- Cleaning supplies and equipment
- Closed circuit video equipment
- Furniture: office chairs and desks; lounge and classroom furniture
- Household electrical appliances
- Laboratory apparatus and equipment: type sold by distributors, such as Fisher Scientific Company
- Office machines: typewriters, adding machines, and calculators
- Office supplies
- Paper products, both fine and coarse
- Uniforms and some textiles.
4.3 More Information
4.3.1 The University Purchasing Office has information on all State contracts and will be glad to discuss details about the many contract items with any department. Departments having need for a particular contract may obtain information by contacting the Purchasing Department (262-2080).