Third Party Lodging
From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
4 Policy and Procedure Statements
4.1 Third Party Lodging
4.1.1 Reimbursement for lodging in an establishment that is being rented out by a third party or an establishment treated as an apartment building by state or local law or regulation is not allowed unless approved by the Director of Accounting and the University Budget Officer in advance.
4.1.2 Third party lodging agreements are prohibited among family members.
4.1.3 Requests for third party lodging must provide evidence of savings to the State. Savings can be calculated in the following ways.
- Amounts can be divided by the number of individuals covered on the lease and then compared to the approved State reimbursement rate allowed by OSBM and University Policy for In-State and Out-of-State lodging. If individuals are staying on the property leased for different lengths of time the amounts can be prorated according to the length of stay the compared to the appropriate State rate.
- If the amounts requesting approval exceed the standard reimbursement rates savings can be shown by obtaining rates from 3 mid-range hotels in the area for comparison.
- An exception may be granted by the Director of Accounting and the University Budget Officer for requests that do not show a savings with sufficient justification to support the necessity for third party lodging. Exceptions will be granted based on certain criteria to include:a.The availability of suitable lodging in the area.
- The location of available lodging in the area.
- The type of lodging available in the area.
- Safety considerations for Travelers (Including Students).
- Other extenuating circumstances not covered by the above items must be supported with adequate documentation. No excessive costs, luxury accommodations, or unnecessary services for the convenience or personal preference of travelers will be approved.
4.1.4 In each case where third party lodging is being considered, the applicant must provide the Director of Accounting and the University Budget Officer all details regarding the arrangement, including the amount to be charged, the length of stay, and contact information.
4.1.5 A signed rental agreement and documentation of the Director of Accounting and the University Budget Officer?s approval must be presented to receive reimbursement. Requests should be first submitted to the Director of Accounting at the Business Affairs Annex. Once approved the request will be forwarded to the University Budget Officer in the B. B. Dougherty Administration building then the approved request will be forwarded back to the requesting department. Approvals must be maintained in the originating department attached to the Authorization for Travel.
4.1.6 A copy of the approved request must accompany any reimbursement request or invoice to be paid by Accounts Payable for pre-approved third party lodging. University travelers who fail to obtain authorization for third party lodging in advance will be personally responsible for any costs that are incurred as a part of the rental/ lease agreement.
5 Additional References
7 Contact Information
David Jamison, Director, Controller's Office, 828-262-6403
8 Effective Date
July 18, 2011