EHRA Non-Faculty Performance Management
From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Scope
- 3 Definitions
- 4 Policy and Procedure Statements
- 5 Additional References
- 6 Authority
- 7 Contact Information
- 8 Original Effective Date
- 9 Revision Dates
1.1 Appalachian State University (the “University”) is committed to the consistent promotion of performance feedback for all University employees. To that end, it is the policy of the University that all EHRA Non-Faculty employees receive annual performance evaluations detailing areas of both proficiency and deficiency, outlining what, if any, necessary steps must be taken for performance improvement and/or development.
2.1 This policy applies to all employees classified as EHRA Non-Faculty in accordance with policies adopted by the Board of Governors and Appalachian State University.
3.1 EHRA Non-Faculty
- Means employees, other than faculty, whose positions have been determined to be exempt from certain provisions in statutes commonly referred to as the “State Human Resources Act” (North Carolina General Statutes, Chapter 126) pursuant to the State Human Resources Act and applicable provisions of The UNC Policy Manual.
- Means employees whose positions have been determined to be instructional in nature pursuant to the State Human Resources Act and applicable provisions of The UNC Policy Manual, including, but not limited to, 300.2.5[G].
- Means employees whose positions have been designated as research positions pursuant to the State Human Resources Act and applicable provisions of The UNC Policy Manual, including, but not limited to, 300.2.5[G].
3.4 SAAO I
- Means “Senior Academic and Administrative Officers” as that term is defined in The UNC Policy Manual, Policy 300.1.1, section, section I.A.
3.5 SAAO II
- Means “Senior Academic and Administrative Officers” as that term is defined in The UNC Policy Manual, Policy 300.1.1, section I.B
4 Policy and Procedure Statements
4.1.1 It is the policy of the University that supervisors of all EHRA Non-Faculty employees (including, but not limited to, SAAO I, SAAO II, instructional, and research positions, and physicians) shall formally assess the performance of these employees on at least an annual basis. EHRA Non-Faculty employee performance evaluations will operate in concert with SHRA employee performance evaluations on a fiscal year calendar, July 1st through June 30th.
4.2 Pre-Determined Criteria
Though no pre-determined set of criteria must be used when evaluating the performance of EHRA Non-Faculty employees, operative processes should include at a minimum the following:
4.2.1 Identification/Communication of performance expectations/goals/objectives for the upcoming appraisal period;
4.2.2 Identification/Communication of consequences for performance that does not meet expectations/goals/objectives;
4.2.3 Opportunity for employee self rating;
4.2.4 Opportunity for supervisor rating;
4.2.5 Approval of evaluation instrument by Human Resource Services designee;
4.2.6 Signatures of both employee and supervisor
Note: All evaluation instruments for EHRA Non-Faculty employees must be approved for use through Human Resource Services. This includes those evaluation instruments already currently in use by campus departments. Evaluation instruments that have been used previously must be sent to Human Resource Services for review and retention.
4.3.1 Once completed, departments should retain one (1) copy within a confidential personnel file and forward one (1) copy to the Office of Human Resource Services. In accordance with University record retention policies, EHRA Non-Faculty employee evaluations will be retained for three (3) years in the Office of Human Resource Services.
5 Additional References
5.1 Pre-Determined Criteria
5.1.1 As previously mentioned, no pre-determined set of criteria must be used for EHRA Non-Faculty employee evaluations; however, supervisors that wish to do so may use or amend the HRS EHRA Non-Faculty Evaluation Template to suit their needs.
5.2 See also:
The UNC Policy Manual, 300.2.5[G]
Appalachian State University Faculty Handbook, section 4.5
7 Contact Information
8 Original Effective Date
November 18, 2011