Leave Payout Procedure
From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
4 Policy and Procedure Statements
4.1 Leave Payout Procedure
4.1.1 When an employee leaves the service of the University, per state policy, the remaining balance of Vacation Leave, Bonus Vacation Leave, Compensatory Time for employees Subject to Overtime, and Longevity pay must be paid out.
- Employee time sheets will be due to HR for any terminating employee by 5:00 p.m. on the day following the employee’s last day of work.
- HR Leave Administrator will determine leave payout hours and process through the appropriate Pay Authorization representative in Human Resource Services (based upon SHRA or EHRA
- The Pay Authorization should be completed including any Leave Payout Hours and forwarded to Payroll immediately for processing in the current payroll.
- If the pay authorization is submitted at a date that is impossible to include in the current payroll then the employee would receive payment in the following normally scheduled pay date.
- Manual Checks will not be issued for this additional pay.
- Any corrections to payouts would require very tight scheduling.
- Payroll should take into account any negative leave balances before processing any leave payouts.
- Leave Accrued in the month of payout.
- June and Fiscal Year End procedures would need to be developed to handle the fiscal year end leave rollover and accrual situations.
4.1.2 This approach eliminates overpayments, eliminates the LT coding on PEAEMPL, and eliminates the NBAJOBS active record for an additional month past termination date.
4.1.3 The NBAJOBS being active would cause a big problem with employees who are exempt from overtime as they would receive their normal pay for an additional month. Payroll would have to manually delete REG hours from PHAHOUR to avoid an overpayment.