Web Accessibility Standards
From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Scope
- 3 Definitions
- 4 Policy and Procedure Statements
- 4.1 Legal Requirements
- 4.1.1 Appalachian State University is required by Federal law to provide access to its programs and services to all qualified individuals. A U.S. Department of Justice Policy Ruling on September 9, 1996 confirmed that the ADA applies to Internet web pages. Most recently, Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, as amended by the Workforce Investment Act of 1998, established federally recognized standards on web accessibility – see www.section508.gov.
- 4.1.2 These laws prevent state insitituions from constructing buildings with no wheelchair access, and similarly, they require universities to create web sites that are accessible to persons who utilize screen readers to navigate the internet, can not hear audio content, are unable to use a mouse, etc.
- 4.1.3 Read the complete listing of Section 508 standards covering web-based intranet and internet information and applications.
- 4.2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4.2.1 What is ADA Compliance and Section 508?
- 4.2.2 What is the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)?
- 4.2.3 Are all web pages hosted on University servers required to be compliant?
- 4.2.4 How do I know if my web pages are compliant?
- 4.2.5 Are there workshops on campus to learn more about ADA compliance methods?
- 4.2.6 How can I learn more about making my web site ADA compliant?
- 4.1 Legal Requirements
- 5 Additional References
- 6 Authority
- 7 Contact Information
- 8 Original Effective Date
- 9 Revision Dates
Appalachian State University is dedicated to providing the best web experience possible to all users. We are currently in the process of updating web pages that do not conform to Section 508, for accessibility for the disabled. Please keep in mind that this effort is an ongoing process and that some pages you encounter may not be accessible. If you find a page which is not compliant, please let us know.
4 Policy and Procedure Statements
4.1 Legal Requirements
4.2 Frequently Asked Questions
4.2.1 What is ADA Compliance and Section 508?
4.2.2 What is the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)?
The w3c has a nice fact sheet on WAI.
4.2.3 Are all web pages hosted on University servers required to be compliant?
Yes, according to the Section 508, any web pages hosted by a state or federally funded institution must be in compliance with the law.
4.2.4 How do I know if my web pages are compliant?
4.2.5 Are there workshops on campus to learn more about ADA compliance methods?
ICS covers ADA Compliance issues relating to website design in the Beginning and Intermediate Web Design workshops. We also instruct individuals on a case-by-case basis when asked and time permits.