Emergency Maintenance and Repair Service
From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Scope
- 3 Definitions
- 4 Policy and Procedure Statements
- 5 Additional References
- 6 Authority
- 7 Contact Information
- 8 Original Effective Date
- 9 Revision Dates
- Emergencies are defined as those problems requiring immediate action to avoid interruption of such essential services as electricity, water, heat, air conditioning, and plumbing; or those conditions which are considered hazardous to personnel, equipment, and facilities. Restoration of utilities serving computer installations, the Infirmary, laboratories, etc., are always handled on an emergency basis.
4 Policy and Procedure Statements
4.1 Emergencies Reported to Physical Plant
Emergencies reported to the Physical Plant are handled as expeditiously as possible. If reported during the regular 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. working day, the situation can usually be corrected or alleviated during the work day, or within the next 24 hours if the emergency is not one of a hazardous nature. An emergency of a hazardous nature is one which presents imminent danger to life or limb, or property. Such an emergency is given immediate attention.
4.1.1 Reporting During Normal Office Hours
188.8.131.52 When situations are observed which appear to require immediate maintenance or repair attention to either prevent or resolve an emergency, this should be reported by telephone to the Physical Plant, 262-3190, if during normal office hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).
184.108.40.206 The Repair Order Clerk will take the necessary information to complete a REQUEST FOR PHYSICAL PLANT SERVICES and forward the request to the appropriate shop personnel. If the emergency is of a hazardous nature, the Repair Order Clerk will contact the shop personnel by radio and give them the necessary information.
220.127.116.11 When you call, tell the receptionist that you want to report an emergency repair and have the following information ready for the Repair Order Clerk:
- Exact nature of the emergency.
- Location - Building and Room Number, if applicable.
- Name of person to contact for further information.
- Phone number of above person.
- Budget Code to be charged (This is necessary to generate the work request, even if the required service is not charged).
18.104.22.168 The Repair Order Clerk will prepare a REQUEST FOR PHYSICAL PLANT SERVICES and forward the appropriate copies to the shop(s) involved with the repair.
4.1.2 Reporting After Normal Office Hours
22.214.171.124 When an emergency arises after normal working hours, on weekends, holidays, or semester breaks, the ASU Police Department should be notified by calling 262-2150. The Department of Police Department personnel have access to a list of persons on call in each area and will contact the person involved. If an emergency arises and the University Police office does not answer after 3 tries, call the Boone Police Department and they will contact the officer on duty.
126.96.36.199 This list or "Emergency Schedule" is prepared on a bi-monthly basis for all shops in the Physical Plant who may be needed for an after-hour emergency situation.
4.1.3 Students Reporting Emergencies
188.8.131.52 Students are to report any emergency repairs to their Resident Assistant or Resident Director who will then report the problem to the proper source. Students should contact the ASU Police Office directly only if the emergency is of a hazardous nature. When staff are called back after hours for work that could be done the next work day (retrieving keys from elevator shaft, etc.) then the person that caused the call back will be charged for the call back time.