Military Call to Service
From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
Pursuant to the provisions of North Carolina’s General Statutes (SL 2005-445; 2003-300; 2017-155) and the University of North Carolina System Policy Manual (700.7.1(R)), the following policy provides guidelines for all Appalachian State University (Appalachian) constituents when Appalachian students who are admitted and enrolled, are required to participate in active military service.
This policy applies to active military service members and to family members of individuals called to active service. For the purpose of this policy, Appalachian students impacted by this policy are referred to as service members, or, in the case of family members, military affiliated students.
- 3.1 Active military service - any circumstance, other than pre-planned training exercises, requiring a service member to report for duty. Active military service (duty) may include deployment abroad, deployment stateside, activation within the state, and/or response to a national emergency.
- 3.2 Admitted and enrolled - refers to any currently enrolled student or a student who has been offered admission to Appalachian, who has accepted the offer of admission, and has begun enrollment steps.
- 3.3 Appalachian student - any student who is admitted and enrolled at Appalachian State University.
- 3.4 Feasible - for the purpose of this policy, feasibility refers to both the convenience and probability relative to providing accommodations. For example, it may not be feasible to expect laboratories (or other hands-on courses) to be converted to an online modality.
- 3.5 Military affiliated student – any person who is the dependent child (biological, adoptive, or step) or spouse of a service member.
- 3.6 Service member - any person who is contractually obligated to a component of the United States Armed Forces. This contractual obligation may be for service in an active duty component or in a reserve component (including the national guard).
- 3.7 United States Armed Forces - represent the military forces of the United States of America. There are six branches: Army, Navy, Air Force, Space Force, Marines, and Coast Guard, and each branch has both active duty (full time obligation) and reserve (part time obligation) components.
4 Policy Statements
4.1 Service Member/Military Affiliated Student
Service Members or Military Affiliate Students are required to contact Student Veteran Services as soon as possible, but in no event longer than seventy-two hours, after notification of requirement for active service.
- 4.1.1 Notification must also include an official copy of the service member’s orders.
- 4.1.2 A service member who does not have time to make the necessary arrangements prior to departure for active service may authorize another person to act on his/her behalf. A letter signed by the student or a power of attorney is required and must be attached to the military orders.
4.2 Student Veteran Services
Upon receipt of the notification of required active service and a copy of their official orders, the Program Director of Student Veteran Services shall:
- Notify the service member or military affiliated student of the receipt of all required documentation.
- Submit a Class Absence Notification Request Form to the Office of the Dean of Students (Case Management) on behalf of the student.