From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Scope
- 3 Definitions
- 4 Policy and Procedure Statements
- 5 Additional References
- 6 Authority
- 7 Contact Information
- 8 Original Effective Date
- 9 Revision Dates
1.1 The purpose of this policy is to provide direction to students at Appalachian State University (“Appalachian”) who elect to Withdraw from an academic term:
- for any reason before the Term Withdrawal Deadline;
- upon the occurrence of an Extenuating Circumstance resulting in the need for a Withdrawal after the Term Withdrawal Deadline; or
- upon the occurrence of an Extenuating Circumstance resulting in the need for a Retroactive Withdrawal after the completion of an academic term.
This policy is implemented in accordance with UNC Policy Manual 400.1.5[R] and 700.7.1[R].
2.1 This policy applies to all current and previously enrolled Appalachian students.
3.1 Extenuating Circumstances
- Extenuating Circumstances are unforeseen, uncontrollable, and unavoidable events that have resulted in a student's inability to complete academic responsibilities within a given academic term.
3.2 Extenuating Circumstances Guidelines
- Guidelines that provide guidance to students on documentation that is helpful to the Withdrawal Committee on making decisions on Withdrawal requests. These guidelines are prescribed by Campus Officials and reviewed by the Withdrawal Committee.
3.3 Term Withdrawal Deadline (aka “Last Day to Withdraw from Term”)
- The deadline designated on Appalachian’s academic calendar that is the last day to Withdraw for any reason from an academic term.
- A student discontinuance from enrollment during an academic term or when all courses are dropped for an academic term.
3.5 Late Withdrawal
- A student Withdrawal for an Extenuating Circumstance after the Term Withdrawal Deadline.
3.6 Retroactive Withdrawal
- A student Withdrawal after the completion of an academic term for a serious Extenuating Circumstance that prevented the student from seeking a Late Withdrawal.
3.7 Withdrawal Committee (the “Committee”)
- A panel comprised of Appalachian faculty and staff responsible for reviewing requests for Late Withdrawals and Retroactive Withdrawals.
4 Policy and Procedure Statements
4.1 Students may Withdraw for any reason before the Term Withdrawal Deadline. Requests must be made to the Registrar’s Office.
4.2 Late Withdrawals
4.2 Late Withdrawal Requests - Requests for Late Withdrawals must be made to the Registrar's Office. Student’s must submit documentation substantiating a Late Withdrawal. The request and documentation will be reviewed by the Committee. Requests received after the completion of an academic term will not be eligible for review as a Late Withdrawal.
4.2.1 Late Withdrawal Required Documentation - Documentation submissions should be consistent with the Extenuating Circumstance Guidelines.
4.2.2 Late Withdrawal Re-enrollment - Upon approval of a Late Withdrawal, Appalachian may request documentation showing that the Extenuating Circumstance has been mitigated and that the student is able to continue their academic studies. The documentation will be reviewed by the Committee before re-enrollment.
4.3 Retroactive Withdrawals
4.3.1 Retroactive Withdrawal Request - Requests for Retroactive Withdrawals must be made to the Registrar's Office. Student’s must submit documentation substantiating a Retroactive Withdrawal consistent with Section 4.2.2 and with a showing that the serious Extenuating Circumstance prevented the student from seeking a Late Withdrawal. The request and documentation will be reviewed by the Committee.
4.4 Withdrawal and Re-Enrollment Appeals
4.4.1 Students denied a Withdrawal or Re-enrollment may appeal the decision to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management. Appeals must be received within ten (10) calendar days from the date Appalachian’s written decision is provided to the student. If the appeal deadline falls on a weekend or University closure, the deadline for filing the appeal will be extended to the next University business day. Requests received after the appeal deadline will not be eligible for review.
5 Additional References
7 Contact Information
- Office of the Registrar - (828) 252-2050
8 Original Effective Date
- January 1, 2020