From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
Policy 505 (formerly Food Services)
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Scope
- 3 Definitions
- 4 Policy and Procedure Statements
- 5 Additional References
- 6 Authority
- 7 Contact Information
- 8 Original Effective Date
- 9 Revision Dates
1.1 Appalachian State University (“Appalachian”) operates Campus Dining as a complete meal service for the Appalachian community. This policy identifies Campus Dining as the exclusive food and beverage service provider for Appalachian.
1.2 Campus Dining has the responsibility of providing food service to all residential students as well as approving all catered events and banquet services that serve food or beverages on Appalachian property. Community caterers, restaurateurs, and individuals may not provide food service on Appalachian property, unless given permission by Campus Dining as expressed in this policy.
2.1 This policy governs: (a) the sale and usage of meal plans for students at Appalachian; (b) all catering, food distribution, and food sales on Appalachian property, including services provided by third parties, hosted or administered for university-sponsored functions or that use university managed funds; and (c) all refunds of food or meal plan sales.
3.1 App Catering
- The catering department of Appalachian State University Campus Dining.
3.2 Campus Cash
- A declining balance dollar amount purchased in advance or via payroll deduction (full time faculty and staff only) that allows the purchaser to swipe their AppCard for a variety of purchases on campus.
3.3 Campus Dining
- A unit within Campus Services that provide food and beverage service, including all eat-in dining venues, convenience markets, coffee shops, App Catering, and App Bakery.
3.4 Food Service
- Any catering, food distribution, and/or food sales (including vending) hosted or administered by members of the Appalachian community or that use Appalachian State University managed funds or facilities.
3.5 Meal Plan(s)
- Multiple plan options developed by Campus Dining that allows the purchaser of the plan to swipe their AppCard for food and beverage purchases at Campus Dining locations.
3.6 Right of First Refusal
- A right of Campus Dining to have the first option to cater any event or activity held on Appalachian property.
4 Policy and Procedure Statements
4.1 On-Campus Food
- 4.1.1 The preparation and sale of food and beverages in and around campus facilities is reserved exclusively to Campus Dining.
- 4.1.2 No club, organization, department, or University group may conduct food or beverage sales on campus, including fund-raising, without the approval of the Director of Campus Dining.
- 4.1.3 Individual purchases of food paid for with non-University funds and delivered from outside vendors to a residence or office is not governed by this policy.
4.2 Meal Plans
- 4.2.1 A meal plan purchase is required for all students living in an Appalachian residence hall, except for those students living in Appalachian Heights. Additionally, all Appalachian students not living in residence halls, faculty or staff have the option of purchasing a meal plan.
- 4.2.2 Meal Plans may be used to purchase food and beverage items at dining halls, markets, and vending machines. Non-food items are not eligible for purchase with a meal plan.
- 4.2.3 Campus Dining is responsible for developing procedures and guidelines pertaining to funds that are not exhausted each year by students, faculty, and staff connected to a Meal Plan, including the forfeiture of such funds to the University if not used by a designated time.
4.3 Campus Cash
Campus cash is available to all Appalachian students, faculty, and staff. Campus Cash is a reloadable and declining balance account paid either at the time of loading the funds or through payroll deduction. Only full-time employees are eligible for the payroll deduction.
- 4.4.1 Meal plan refunds are made only if a student, faculty, or staff member officially withdraws or separates from the University.
- 4.4.2 Meal Plan funds will only be refunded for the semester that the withdrawal or separation occurred. Meal Plan funds will only be refunded for the semester that the withdrawal or separation occurred. Any funds that were rolled over from a previous semester will not be eligible for reimbursement.
- 4.4.3 Campus Cash rolls over each semester on student, faculty, and staff accounts. Upon withdrawal or separation from the University, Campus Cash balances are refundable minus a service fee.
Campus Dining offers a full line of catering services through App Catering. App Catering has the responsibility for developing procedures for the provision of Catering services for the Appalachian community.
4.6 Right of First Refusal
- 4.6.1 A Right of First Refusal form must be completed for all catered events or activities held on Appalachian property that are hosted or administered for university-sponsored functions or that use university managed funds.
- 4.6.2 If App Catering is available and able to provide the Food Services requested, the event or organization must use App Catering. Exceptions may be granted by App Catering, including but not limited to culture-specific Food Service events where App Catering cannot provide the food items or App Catering is booked for other events.
4.7 Policy Implementation and Compliance
- 4.7.1 The Chancellor has delegated authority and oversight for the administration and implementation of this policy to the Vice Chancellor of Business Affairs, including the process and mechanism for enforcement and sanctions. The Director of Campus Dining will be responsible for the development and management of University procedures consistent with this policy with oversight from the Vice Chancellor of Business Affairs.
- 4.7.2 Administration of this policy shall be consistent with federal and state law and regulations, UNC System policies, and policies of the University. Any food purchased using University funds must conform to North Carolina State Purchasing and Contract guidelines.
5 Additional References
7 Contact Information
- Campus Dining (828-262-3061)
- App Card Office (828-262-6141)
8 Original Effective Date
February 8, 2021