From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
1.1 The appointment of Safety committees in each department within Colleges and Administrative units of Appalachian State University is recommended and encouraged as a means of furthering the effectiveness of the University's Safety program. The Occupational Safety and Health Office should be made aware of all appointments.
4 Policy and Procedure Statements
4.1 Appalachian State University Safety & Health Committee
4.1.1 The purpose of the ASU Safety & Health Committee is to encourage involvement of all faculty, staff and students both at the non-management and management level in the ongoing responsibility of providing a safe work and learning environment. Members of the University are encouraged to report safety concerns to the University Safety & Health Committee. To the extent feasible, the personal identity of those reporting violations to members of this committee will remain confidential. NCGS 126-85, Article 14 provides specific protection from retaliation for any state employee who reports or is about to report any activity described under GS 12-84: (a) It is the Policy of this State that State employees shall be encouraged to report verbally or in writing to their supervisor, department head, or other appropriate authority, evidence of activity by a State agency or State employee constituting:
- A violation of State or federal law, rule or regulation;
- Misappropriation of State resources;
- Substantial and specific danger to the public health and safety; or
- Gross mismanagement,
- gross waste of monies, or gross abuse of authority.
- Further, it is the policy of this State that State employees be free of intimidation or harassment when reporting to public bodies about matters of public concern, including offering testimony to or testifying before appropriate legislative panels.
4.1.2 Contact a member of the Safety & Health Committee or the Occupational Safety and Health Office at 262-4007 if you have questions. Refer to the following web site for a current listing of committee members: https://appsafety.appstate.edu/occupational-safety-health-committee.