From Appalachian State University Policy Manual
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Scope
- 3 Definitions
- 4 Policy and Procedure Statements
- 5 Additional References
- 6 Authority
- 7 Contact Information
- 8 Original Effective Date
- 9 Revision Dates
4 Policy and Procedure Statements
4.1 Vacation Leave
4.1.1 The University provides vacation leave with pay for permanent staff employees, both full-time and part-time as outlined in State Personnel Manual, Section 5. Temporary employees are not eligible for vacation leave with pay. Teaching faculty employees are not eligible to earn vacation leave.
- The administration of the vacation leave policy is done by the Human Resource Department.
- Employees will earn vacation time as outlined in the State Leave Policy or if an EHRA administrative employee by the policy as outlined at General Administration.
- As long as an employee works at least half of the work days in the work period then the employee will automatically earn leave.
- Vacation leave balances are printed on the employee's check stub each month. Employees may also log in into Employee Self Service to view vacation balances or check with the appropriate person in the department that handles the departmental leave report.
- Employee's will provide their supervisor with as much notice as possible when requesting vacation leave.
- Vacation leave will be recorded as VAC on the time sheet unless it is time taken between December 16 through December 31 of each year which will be recorded as VAS on the time sheet.
- As of December 31 of each year any vacation hours in excess of 240 will be transferred to the employee's sick leave balance. This will be done programmatically each year by Human Resources.
- Vacation rollover balances at year end will not show correctly on employee's check stub until the February payroll. Correct balances may be obtained by looking at the departmental leave report or by logging into Employee Self Service.
- Employee's who are retiring may use the option of exhausting any unused vacation leave prior to their retirement date.
- Any type of leave adjustment will be submitted from the Human Resource office to the Payroll office for processing.
- At the supervisor's discretion, vacation time may be forwarded to the employee up to the maximum amount that he/she would earn and could be credited back for through the end of the calendar year. If the employee has a negative leave balance at the end of the calendar year and does not have any bonus leave to apply to the negative balance, then the amount negative leave balance will be deducted from the employee's next paycheck.
- Employees may not receive a vacation pay out for financial hardship or any other type condition. Lump sum payment for vacation leave is made only at the time of separation or retirement.
4.2 Employees Terminating Employment
- Employees who terminate employment will be paid for up to 240 hours of vacation time.
- Vacation leave payout will be done on employee's last paycheck.
- Retirement deductions and applicable taxes shall be deducted from the vacation leave payout.
- If an employee changes status during the year such as going from a leave earning position to a non-leave earning position that employee will be paid for unused vacation leave time up to the maximum of 240 hours in addition to vacation bonus leave. This will be done by Human Resources completing a leave work and PD-105 and submitting it to the Payroll office.
- Human Resources will complete a leave work up and PD-105 and send it to payroll for processing for all employees separating service or retiring from a ASU.
4.3 Employee's Transferring to/from Another State Agency
- Human Resources will work diligently with other State agencies in verifying unused vacation leave balances for employees coming to work at ASU. Once proper documentation has been obtained from the sending State agency and it has been confirmed it is an approved State agency to receive leave from, Human Resources will do a leave adjustment to be sent to payroll for processing. This time will show on the employee's record once proper documentation has been received.
- Total State Service time will be adjusted in Banner to reflect a higher accrual rate and longevity dates changed when proper documentation has been received from an approved State agency.
- For employees leaving ASU, Human Resources will complete an official document from the receiving State agency giving verifying the unused vacation leave at time of transfer. These forms will be completed and returned in a timely manner after receipt.
- A leave work up and PD-105 will be completed by Human Resources and submitted to payroll for processing.
4.4 Vacation Bonus Time
4.4.1 The General Assembly has granted bonus leave at different times. Bonus leave is used for any purpose for which regular vacation leave is used. The following procedures will be used in administering Vacation Bonus Time.
- Human Resources will administer the vacation bonus time policy.
- Bonus leave will be accounted for separately from vacation leave. A separate leave category is established in Banner to ensure that this time is separate.
- Balances of vacation bonus time are displayed monthly on employees check stubs, may be viewed through logging into Employee Self Service, or employee may check with the designated employee in their department who handles the department leave report to view a leave balance.
- Vacation Bonus leave taken will be record as VAB on the timesheet.
- Employees may not receive a vacation bonus pay out for financial hardship or any other type condition. Lump sum payment for vacation bonus leave is made only at the time of separation or retirement.
- Any unused Vacation Bonus Time will be paid out on the employee's last pay check if separating from employment or retiring. This is in addition to the 240 hours of vacation leave that can be paid out.
- In a retirement situation, an employee may choose to exhaust any remaining vacation bonus time prior to the retirement date.
- Retirement deductions and applicable taxes shall be deducted from the vacation bonus leave payout.
- Bonus leave is not subject to conversion to sick leave.
- Any balance of bonus leave on December 31 will be retained by the employee and transferred into the next calendar year. It will not be part of the maximum 240 hours of vacation that can be retained.
- Employees may use bonus leave when donating shared leave to an employee.
- Any balance of bonus leave will be transferred with the employee who transfers to another State agency. The same guidelines will be used for transferring vacation bonus time as outlined above for transferring regular vacation leave.
- If an employee changes status during the year such as going from a leave earning position to a non-leave earning position that employee will be paid for unused vacation bonus leave time in addition to regular vacation leave. This will be done by Human Resources completing a leave work and PD-105 and submitting it to the Payroll office.
- When a separation from employment occurs, human resources will complete a leave work up and PD-105 to submit to payroll for proper processing so proper vacation bonus leave will be paid to employee.